Inks Ranch History
Matthew “Mark” Moss, a Virginian, came to Texas in 1818. In 1836, he fought in the Texas Revolution at the Battle of San Jacinto under General Sam Houston. He received a land grant of approximately 4,600 acres which included Bull Head Mountain in southwestern Llano County.
Aaron Moss, the youngest son, and brother Charles Moss purchased an additional 30,000 acres in 1882, which included Enchanted Rock which the Moss’ descendants owned until 1978.
A March 14, 1954 story in the San Angelo Standard-Times relates that time the ranch had more than 150 animals including India Black Antelope, Aoudad Sheep, American bighorn sheep, Mouflon, Barbados Sheep and numerous White Tail Deer.
The Inks Ranch, a true Texas legend, hosts the Jeep Jamboree, Hot Air Balloons & many Hunts!